Next year there will be two exciting travel trips happening during Intensives. Rosa and Svetlana are traveling in December to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands, and Jason and Leigh Anne are traveling in May to Iceland. If you need more information about the Galapagos trip, email Rosa at email@example.com or stop by and talk to her. If you want to find out more about the Iceland trip, there is a parent meeting this Thursday the 30th at 6:00 in Jason’s room, or email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship money is available for travel intensives. Students should pick up a form from the office and the deadline to turn them in is April 11th.
Important Reminder for the 2017 Spike Jorgensen Scholarship
DEADLINE: Tuesday March 28, 2017
Students can receive $1,000 their first year, and can renew the scholarship up to four years – totaling $4,000.
Application is simple!
* One page application
* Short personal essay
* Two letters of recommendation
What makes this scholarship unique?
* It is only open to member districts of the Coalition for Education Equity (formally CEAAC)
* Which means the pool of applicants is historically smaller than for other scholarships
* Scholarships are awarded based personal essay and recommendations – NOT GPA
Applications can be submitted as a Microsoft Word (or compatible) document or as a scanned PDF document by emailing it to: email@example.com
Spike Jorgensen Scholarship instructions and application
If necessary, applications can also be submitted in hard copy to:
Spike Jorgensen Scholarship
c/o Coalition for Education Equity (CEE)
P.O. Box 90791
Anchorage, AK 99509
Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The state of Alaska’s new standards-based assessment is referred to as PEAKS (Performance Evaluation for Alaska’s Schools).
Grades 7, 8, 9, and 10 will be assessed in the areas of Language Arts and Math, and grades 8 and 10 will also be tested in Science.
Steller’s main testing schedule:
Week of April 4th: Grades 7 and 8
April 10th: Science grade 8
Week of April 17th: Grades 9 and 10
April 24th: Science grade 10
Testing will start at 8:30 every day and it is important that students arrive at school on time. The test is untimed.
Link to more information about PEAKS:
- Go to eDIRECT: https://ak.drcedirect.com. Near the bottom of the home page, you see a link to view the public version of the Online Tools Training. Click on the link.
- Alternatively, you may go directly to the public version by using this URL: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/AK/portals/ak
- In the new window, click on the words “Online Tools Training”.
- Click on the content area you would like to practice, and then on the grade level.
- The username and password to use are on the log in screen.
The Steller staff appreciates student participation and parent support in making PEAKS a successful assessment. We have hired substitute teachers as test administrators to limit the impact on classroom instruction.
They earned a 100% – with zero replace, repair or fix comments.
!!! Woo-Woo !!!
well done TOB staff