Archive for the ‘Parent Group’ Category

Parent Group Agenda

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

Steller Parent group meeting tonight at 6pm!

Please bringing an ice cream topping and be ready to move into action with the following items: Ice cream social February 9th, Community Service Movement and Souper Steller!!  Come and meet our new secretary Kathryn Grundheiser, our Volunteer Coordinator and our Community Service Coordinator.

Parents ready to move into ACTION ACTION!!
Come tonight!


What is happening at Steller (Events, Issues from Steller Groups)

• Principal Report

• Staff Report

• Ad Group Report

• Op Group

 What is happening in Parent Group – Parent Group Committee Reports

• Budget

• Recruitment and Retention Update on the All Community Meeting Discussion
• Adjusting Dates of Future PG Meetings

How can we support Steller? (select one or two for small group conversation):

  • Steller Ice cream Social/Recruitment Fair- How can parents support, what are the roles, what should parents know to be ready to present or answer questions?
  • Volunteer Coordination and Community Service Coordination-what are we doing, how can we grow it?
  • Souper Fridays, how parents can support the student chefs
  • Other

 Actions

•  Budget approval

 Ideas for small group topics for next parent group meeting

• Recruitment and retention committee?

• Volunteers for Ice Cream Social/Recruitment Fair

 Upcoming Events.

Next Ad Board Meeting Th. Feb. 2 @ 6:30 PM

Steller Window Stickers only $3

Thursday, January 12th, 2012

Draft Parent Meeting Agenda

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

Steller Parent Group Meeting

Wednesday December14th, 2011

 

What is happening at Steller (Events, Issues from Steller Groups)

  • Principal Report
  • Staff Report
  • Ad Group Report
  • Op Group

What is happening in Parent Group – Parent Group Committee Reports

  • Budget
  • Co/replacement Parent Group Secretary
  • Report on Community Café for New Parents
  • ASD Facility Committee Update

How can we support Steller? (select one or two for small group conversation):

  • Recruitment retention work session schedule
  • Community service-how can parents support, how can we organize our base
  • Dance night parent sessions-what would be of interest to parents
  • Other

Actions

  • Budget approval

Ideas for small group topics for next parent group meeting

• Suggestions?

Upcoming Events

Next Parent Group Meeting Wed. Jan. 11 @ 6 PM.

Next All Community Meeting Th. Jan. 12 @ 6:30 PM

TONIGHT AT STELLER!!!!

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011

PLEASE NOTE THE TIME AND DATE ~there was some confusion because Tuesday was the fabulous winter concert by the Steller choir and band…

Parent Group is hosting a community café/dessert for new families (7th grade parents and other parents with students new to Steller this year) to welcome them and check in with them to see what the community can do to help them along in Steller.  As with all meetings at Steller, all families, new and veterans, students and staff are welcome of course, because existing families and staff have experience to share with the new ones!  So, please come to our potluck Community Café Dessert Café – Wed. Dec. 7 (7:30-9pm).  All are welcome!

Please call or email with questions, suggestions and/or offers to help: Alyse.galvin@gmail.com or 884-2299

November 16th Steller Parent Group Meeting Notes

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011

Summary/Highlights

• Talking to your children about drugs, it’s never too soon or too late – guest speaker, Peter Alward of Charter Northdetailed notes p.3

• Dale - Teachers started using turnitin.com, a program that identifies the percentage of exact text used from various sources.  This helps students find their voice and understand and avoid plagiarism.

• Intensives will be right before spring break, with the schedule to come out Nov. 28 and kids sign up second week of January during advisory group.  Students need to switch intensives so they do not take the same one 2 years in a row and teachers cannot repeat as well.  If more names than spots, a lottery is done via a drawing.

• Yea haw!!!  We made $12,152.48 this year, while last year we made $7,000.  There was a sincere round of congratulations to auction committee leaders, Wendy, Rebecca, Rebecca, and Rochelle.

• The group discussed some of the funding categories and the process.  Looking at the intensives category, for instance, there are scholarships for the intensives process, only through financial need.

• Rebecca clarified that Parent Group funds collected via annual donations and e-Script, etc. are a separate category of funds used to finance things such as special projects, staff educational opportunities and other funding requests.

• There was also a discussion on the information flow, within Steller, for proposals and actions.  With staff and the student Op Group meeting weekly, and Parent Group and Ad Board meeting monthly, it would be best for Parent Group to meet the week before Ad Board.  The calendar for next semester’s PG meetings will be revised to have meetings be the week before Ad Board.

Talking to your children about drugs, it’s never too soon or too late –

Special Presentation – Following up on Red Ribbon Week and last month’s discussion on drug and alcohol use and clarification of ASD consequences, guest speaker, Peter Alward of Charter North, spoke about how to best approach this issue with children grades 7-12.  He was a dynamic and informative speaker and we are considering having Peter back to speak at a community café.  Because he provided such a wealth of information, the key points to his presentation are provided at the end of these notes starting on page 3.

Reports

Dale:

  • Teachers started using turnitin.com, a program that identifies the percentage of exact text used from various sources.  This helps students find their voice and understand and avoid plagiarism.  Also it promotes more punctuation, grammar, and spelling, which is one of the school’s Student Achievement Plan goals this year.
  • Dale also participated in Executive Exchange (with the head of People Mover) along with a student on two meetings talking about how they do business.
  • Books
  1. One science class needs 10 physical science books
  2. Also making progress on having folks turn books back in that may be at home
  • A gym offered us used exercise equipment, which will be sold on Craig’s List and added to the auction pot
  • Thanks to those who participated in and planned the auction.
  • Dale has come up with the idea of a “Community Action Board” and ran it by Alyse and Joe earlier in the week

Leigh Ann

  • Thanks to parent group for auction, it was a great support.
  • Registration for 2nd semester will be December 2, classes are done and soon the schedule will be posted on the Flash.
  • Intensives will be right before spring break, with the schedule to come out Nov. 28 and kids sign up second week of January during advisory group.
  • The goal is to have four viable trips for next year (2 during each intensive).
  • Students need to switch intensives so they do not take the same one 2 years in a row and teachers cannot repeat as well.  If more names than spots, a lottery is done via a drawing.
  • There will be a waitlist if students do not get first choice.

Op group

  • Beau Romine wants to finish his senior project of building furniture for the student lounge, as he left for a six-month construction job.

Auction

Yea haw!!!  We made $12,152.48 this year, while last year we made $7,000.  There was a sincere round of congratulations to auction committee leaders, Wendy, Rebecca, Rebecca, and Rochelle.  They were also thanked for coming up with a how-to manual for future auctions – a feat all by itself, let along it being developed in the midst of organizing an auction.  Special thanks also to the 9th grade class and their class advisors Leigh Anne and Philip.

Business donation were amazing, incredible job with follow up, great entertainment – Wayne was an awesome auctioneer, etc. Final numbers coming soon.  Parent Group Budget at next meeting.

Ad Board will now recommend where funds will be spent.  Rebecca said be ready to make proposals for that process, as last year we changed the funding process to have Ad Board decide allocations to various categories.

ALYSE – PLEASE HELP MAKE THE FOLLOWING AS CLEAR AS CAN BE:

The group discussed some of the funding categories and the process.  Looking at the intensives category, for instance, there are scholarships for the intensives process, only through financial need.  But, this was adjusted last year to provide support for “in-town” intensives, not just travel intensives.   The discussion also covered how and where funds go because the changes of over the past few years had made things a little confusing.  About three of four years ago auction funds began to go directly to Parent Group for distribution (as they took over the auction) after previously being distributed by administration.  Then last year the allocation process moved to Ad Board having it advise on how to put spend the auction funds.  Parent Group then writes check(s) to Steller administration for the various accounts.

So, the process, as clarified by the discussion with the parents and staff present, is that auction funds come into the parent group account with the relative allocation to various categories being decided by Ad Board.  These funds are then transferred to the various categories i.e. Intensives, Planet Steller/Garden Club where they are dispersed and accounted for by Steller administrative staff.   Dale expressed his interest in seeing that the process be as transparent as possible and that he’d work to get at least a year-end accounting for each category and club.

Rebecca clarified that Parent Group funds collected via annual donations and e-Script, etc. are a separate category of funds used to finance things such as special projects, staff educational opportunities and other funding requests. Also, fyi, Ad Board decided last year to make a $350 fund to be used to at its discretion.

Rebecca will draft a Flash notice, describing the steps of the funding processes and how requests are made for both. Proposals will be read if you need to send in but being there to represent and follow up. Dale and Rebecca will work on budget, knowing where we have pockets of money already.

In the January timeframe, Ad Board will develop a process for determining how to spend money.

Auction: Proposal that there is always two key volunteer slots advertised as we move forward toward next year’s auction.  This recognizes the multi-year time commitment of the current auction committee and the need for fresh participation to give some of these folks a break.

There was also a discussion on the information flow, within Steller, for proposals and actions.  With staff and the student Op Group meeting weekly, and Parent Group and Ad Board meeting monthly, it would be best for Parent Group to meet the week before Ad Board.  The calendar for next semester’s PG meetings will be revised to have meetings be the week before Ad Board so that issues can more easily moved through all groups to Ad Board and finalized in a timely manner.

Alyse and Joe introduced the idea of having a community café/dessert for new families to welcome them/check in with them and see what we can do to help them along in Steller.  All families are welcome of course, because existing families have experience to share with the new ones!

Coming Events

New Families Community Café Dessert Café – Dec. 7 (7:30 to 9 PM)

Next Parent Group Meeting Wed. Dec. 14 @ 6 PM.

Next Ad Board Meeting Th. Dec. 8 @ 6:30 PM

Winter Concert – Steller Band, Choir, and Orchestra Tue. Dec. 6 – 2:30 to 3:30 PM

———————————————————————————–

Talking to your children about drugs, it’s never too soon or too late -

Special Presentation – guest speaker, Peter Alward of Charter North.

Society is awash with drugs and alcohol.  TV, the web, magazines, catalogs, stores, …

  • As a society, we have tried many different things (programs, wars, etc).  None have really been very successful.
  • At times society used to glorify the age of drugs.  Now more and more we see real medical affects, starting as early as in-utero.  It is this type of exposure now – who he works with.
  • We all have to do more.  And there’s no miracle cure.  We have to fix one family, person at a time.

Society and most of us individually are in a state of denial.

  • How do we help students who haven’t yet been exposed but will be soon exposed?  Well, we have to start by having it be part of our everyday  conversations.  Not just the big “we have to talk,” but maybe during the drive to school or over a meal.  And, we need to keep talking. Family time (dinner together) any time dedicated to talk is fine for it.  Recognize that it is right to intentionally talk about the subject, despite the challenges that we are so busy in life, we need to dedicate time for being together without distractions.
  • The part of brain that develops mood, actions is happening in 10-15 year olds and parents are role models (even more than we think).  Dedicated family time together shows interest and commitment to our children.  There are many things we can do to demonstrate that commitment – dedicate the time, play games, find common activities, talk during driving time, diversional recreation (PLAY), etc.  These are all important and part of healthy relationships,

Show Clear Values

  • Give and take in discussions is okay, it is also okay to say “family first,” to draw the line and give direction about the child role in the family, and that computer games, or time at friends is not always the priority – it is okay to have values, just be explicit, consistent, and explain why.

What to do when you know one child may not experiment but know that soon, down the road another will?

  • A primary goal is to be sure experimentation does not become active use.  Be careful about explaining parent use of drugs (children may hear and infer something that you did not intend, ~ it must be OK , dad did it…).  Be very clear, this is what I don’t want you to get from this.  Do not only talk once, keep up the conversation – show your commitment.  If you are a forbidding type, they are likely to do it anyway, so have open discussions about what is ok and what is not ok.
  • A primary goal should be for your child to BE HONEST about their actions, regardless of whether you approve or not. Your child will not tell you if they think they will get in trouble and not be safe in telling the truth.  As a parent you should explain the consequences will be less (but there will still be some) if your child is honest and lets you know.

Parents who are persistent when there is use, i.e., constantly saying we love you and this is not ok, repeatedly help end use.   This will help the actions to not become habitual.

  • There are signs to look for in a habitual user:

Change in function/actions/habits

Change in friends (users look for friends who enable or allow)

Change in grades

Change in self-care

It is natural with the growth and maturing that teens go through that they will change interest, but an abrupt change is what to be aware of.

Preteen are much more vulnerable to addiction, their brain is more ripe for it just due to its developmental stage.  There are also alterations in sensorium, users are less likely to concentrate, complete work, etc.  This is something that teachers may see.

When you see signs – talk to your child.

  • Your child may lie, but keep asking.  Safety comes first.  A parent should take an active role as “chief safety officer” in the family.  In the real world, if someone is not safe on the job a safety officer can step in check their desk, their personal property, their vehicle, etc. for drugs.  And a parent can and should go into a bedroom – its keeping your child safe.

Ask your child to role play: Ask them ~ what do think will happen when…

  • There might be drugs at a party

There is something happening in an automobile (driving under the influence)

Give pathways to save face (offer that student calls when in trouble)

Don’t rely on just one method (contracts, pre-conversation,

Set example as parents (cab home, assign designated driver, don’t break the            law)

It’s important to ask questions rather than tell them what to do.

  • What do you think?  Why do you think I care?  Why do you think a kid would want to do that?  Where should you be?  What are you doing now?  So, you have your child tell you by asking the questions and giving them the recognition that you care about their perspective.
  • Then respond, with good answers.  Take your time – you are wise and have real experience and information to share.
  • Do not yell at everything, they will not hear all of that noise, save your concerned voice for when they are not doing something unsafe.

If it’s a very difficult discussion, sit down and plan the discussion with your partner and make sure you are on the same page.

  • Talk about what you want to talk about.  Be ready for every answer.  Role play with your partner asking the hard questions until they feel more comfortable and clear.  Switch up roles for parents (who is the rule person, who is not).

How to ask the right questions to get answers when you feel your child is not easy to talk to:

  • Do not only have talk time when it is BIG.  Break it into pieces, if attention span is short.  Share that this is so important that it needs to happen. I care about you, what you do effects me, you scare me when that happens, letting your child know that some actions cost and really hurt parents is OK.

Draft Parent Meeting Agenda

Sunday, November 13th, 2011

Steller Parent Group Meeting

Wednesday November16th, 2011

Talking to your children about drugs, it’s never too soon or too late

Special Presentation (first 20 minutes of the meeting)

Following up on Red Ribbon Week and last month’s discussion on drug and alcohol use and clarification of ASD consequences, there will be a presentation about how to best approach this issue with children grades 7-12 by Peter Alward of Charter North

What is happening at Steller (Events, Issues from Steller Groups)

  • Principal Report
  • Staff Report
  • Ad Group Report
  • Op Group

What is happening in Parent Group – Parent Group Committee Reports

  • Budget
  • Auction Report – Kudos and Post Auction Report

How can we support Steller? (select one or two for small group conversation): 

  • Recruitment and Retention
  • Engaging new families (how should we welcome, support, encourage and include?)
  • After school programs and budget (other subjects?)
  • Other

Actions

  • Budget approval

Ideas for small group topics for next parent group meeting

• Recruitment and retention committee

Upcoming Events

Steller Holiday Music Night Dec. 5  (tentative)

New Families Community Café Dec. 7 (tentative)

Next Parent Group Meeting Wed. Dec. 14 @ 6 PM.

Next Ad Board Meeting Th. Dec. 8 @ 6:30 PM

 

Oct. 19, 2011 Steller Parent Group Meeting Notes

Friday, October 21st, 2011

The Steller Band held a mini-concert of four songs for the community and Parent Group just prior to the start of the Parent Group Meeting.  Band teacher Mr. Toba reported that this is the largest Steller band he has ever directed.

Staff Report (Ashley):

  • Intensives: Proposal to change intensives to end of first and end of second semester.  This is circulating through the advisory groups and indication are that students are supporting the idea.
  • ***Student led conferences: (Wednesday and Thursday Oct. 26 & 27 from 12:30-7pm).  Parent should know too that there is early dismissal/in-service day next Friday Oct. 28.  Email was sent from some advisors and some online messages.  Sign up can be done on the ASD website***

Advisory Board (Rochelle):

  • Good attendance at the last meeting
  • Much of the discussion was on Root Down and their healthy lunch alternative – The option is not recommended at this time due to some disorganization such as missing lunches, the produce has not always been organic, growing pains, etc.  There was also a discussion around how to deliver them.  Students will work on that issue, perhaps Parent Group can pay for an organizer.  The business is licensed and up to speed permit-wise.  This may be considered in December.

Op Group (Ashley/Dale)

  • Op Group did not meet last week because of finals.
  • The week before, they talked about a potential new club called Shift (something about shifting the paradigm) focusing on seminar style discussion of current events and world issues.

Parent Group Committee Reports

Auction

  • A small group is soliciting businesses for contributions
  • Computers are set up
  • Set up for donations – and they are needed!
  • Rochelle ready with notices
  • Advisory groups have chosen basket themes
  • Need responses to emails to freshmen parents
  • Upcoming Volunteer days: (on list by Rebecca) – 11/8 and 11/11

Compostable products presentation by Wendy:

Green Alaska Solutions sells:

  • Garbage bags, paper plates, cups, cutlery
  • They deliver (No cost for delivery)
  • Price list available

Discussion-Rochelle found plates at Costco that are compostable.  We might be able buy forks, etc.  When selling coffee, we are obligated to use Kaladi cups.

Principal Report

Alysha- new staff member (.2 position math teacher) will be here at student lead conferences next week.

Response to Instruction (RTI)- is a testing process in reading and math that helps identify problem areas for students.  ASD is mandating this program.  Steller will be sending a leadership team to district for training.  Dimond and Bartlett are already using this system and its been in with elementary schools already.  Parent Group will hold a more detailed discussion on this at our next meeting on Nov. 16.

Dale spent two days at the principal’s conference (‘filling the bucket’- want to encourage students to keep adding to the ‘bucket of learning’ and encourage students to add to other students’ buckets).  Much of the good stuff he learned about at the principal conference, we are already doing at Steller.  He made contact with Alaska Crossing’s Camille Beale, head of Education.  Their programs take at-risk students into the wilderness.  Program teaches students to be self-reliant and confident. Looking at a 10 day program where students can get science credit.  Ratio is 1-3. She may come to the next Parent Group meeting set for 11/16.  Yearbook is getting a laptop.  This will make it more convenient for expediting the work.

WORKKEYS- This is a free test scheduled for 11/9 (make up the following week on 11/16).  Results aligns with scholarship for the Alaska Performance Scholarship.  It is mandatory for all 11th graders to take the test. Seniors can take it again for free if they would like.  Students receive a star from bronze to platinum, and can attach to resume.  Employers are looking at these also.

We got more chemistry books are in today.  Parent Group members offered to do any lobbying necessary to get this type of book problem resolved.

Dale reported that he is working on the Student Achievement Plan (SAP) and Parent Involvement Plan (PIP). He needs parent input especially to help putt together the PIP.   Janice and Jennifer offer to help.  The deadline is October 31.  The three key goals for the SAP are:

1) Writing goal –writing across the curriculum (a focus all classes, not just writing/English classes)

2) Academic goal (working with students who are not making the grade, making a plan for success and follow through, a parent school and student action part)

3) Have more inclusive activities in advisory groups and student leadership there

Drug and Alcohol Use – Clarification of Consequences -

The Parent Group heard from Dale on this subject.  Next week is Red Ribbon Week.  The ASD rules are very clear – possession or being under the influence or sales  – any infraction will result in automatic suspension.  Sales will results in expulsion.  Schools are a drug free zone and dealing in a zone is a felony.

Way forward: parent, student, and staff discussions about what pathways there are for our community to raise attention positively

Business

Request for funding:

Pick click and give – Rebecca will check with PFD to see if they can join into that Parent Group stated its support.

Support for John to go to Professional Alaska school counselor conference at a cost of $285.  A motion of support passed unanimously.

Parent Group passed a unanimous resolution: We support the purchase of biodegradable food service materials when at all possible, even if cost is higher, providing that we have the means to pay for it.

Topics for next months small group discussion:

Recruitment

Facilities

Strategic plan

Facility bldg improvement

After school offerings

Retention / recruitment subject

Dena, a principal intern here, is also working with North Star Elementary across the street, looking for more Steller students to support our reading tutor program with them.  We could have some student come here also for a read-in/story time in the afternoons.

Parent Group Meeting

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011

The Steller Parent Group meets Wed. Oct. 19 at 6 PM in Ken’s room. All are welcome. Come hear the Steller band in a mini-concert  from 6 to 6:15 PM!  Also, get an update about Steller auction preparations and other volunteer opportunities.

Click here for the proposed agenda.

Steller Facility Needs List

Thursday, October 6th, 2011

During the 2011-2011 school year a facility needs list was compiled which included input from parent group meetings, the staff , the all community meetings and from correspondence from the Steller community.  (Please view past Flash newsletters for more details)

If you as a student, staff member, or parent/guardian would like to add to this list, or comment, please do so via email to hsharratt@mtaonline.net  by October 14, 2011.  This list will then be forwarded to the administration for consideration.

Summary of Short Term Needs:

  • We need more teaching space (this could be in form of relocatable buildings for the short term) to accommodate:
    • A dedicated Art room (not shared with another (non-art) class
    • Seminar classroom and space for seminar coaching groups
    • PE (Including a larger weight/workout room)
    • A separate PE space for alternative classes like yoga and dance
    • We need new PE equipment.  Some suggestions have incuded  a climbing wall and a running
    • We need a washer and dryer for science labs
    • We need upgraded equipment, complete supplies and lab furniture for the science labs
    • A greenhouse off the science lab

We need proper classroom furniture in all classrooms Summary of long-term needs – to include expansion of the school  with a new wing to include:

  • A dedicated Art room
  • Seminar classroom and space for seminar coaching
  • A new library, equal to libraries available to other  MS and HS students in the district
  • Expansion of the gym and PE space for a climbing wall, a better and bigger weight room and equipment
  • A gardening/horticultural area
  • An outdoor learning area
  • A dedicated space for Band and Orchestra
  • Spaces or ’Pods’ where smaller coaching groups could go.  These could also service multiple functions i.e. Seminar, providing students space to practice instruments, drama, study etc.
  • It was also suggested during parent meeting discussions that wiring and heating, and air circulation also need upgrading
  • At the last meeting of the parent group, text books were also identified to be in short supply for Chemistry students.  The consensus was that the ASD is responsible for ensuring that all classes have an adequate supply of text books for all classes.

Snapshot of Parent Group Meeting 9-21-2011

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011

For the unabridged minutes, click here

Root Down Presentation- A caterer who currently serves students and staff at Aquarian, Rilke Schule, Winterberry and others presented samples and described what their services, menu and partnership might look like at Steller. The Parent Group suggested they present to students (which they already had in the works), to staff, and put out a survey to parents to see how much interest there would be in having Root Down deliver lunches to Steller.

What’s happening at Steller

  • Principal Report: Drama and choir programs are starting this month.  Steller evaluating having Intensives at beginning of the year, give your written input to the office. Dale requesting that legislative grant include: greenhouse lighting and rock wall.
  • Advisory Group: A new kitchen policy passed regarding supplies and food handling policies.  See Ad Board minutes for details.
  • Auction Report: Auction is November 12.  Parents are encouraged to solicit donations of think of time and talent that might be of value as an auction item.  Please send an email to Rebecca (beckinak@gmail.com) or Wendy (paw@alaska.net) for more information or to let them know what you or your company can donate to this Steller FUNdraiser.

Working Discussion Groups:

  • Healthy Lunches: Mostly discussed Root Down Presentation.  Way forward: Present to students, survey to go on flash
  • After 2pm Offerings: Discussed what is already at Steller and a wish lish from the parent perspective. Way forward: Need to start by asking students what they want.  Need a comprehensive list of what is there. Dale is working a list. Parents would like the list put on Flash to help connect families to these student opportunities.
  • Budget Review: Discussed the budget from last year to evaluate whether is met the overall goals of parent group-supporting student learning opportunities. Parents expressed particular concern that the basic need of textbooks be met and felt that should be covered by ASD monies. Way forward: Rebecca (treasurer) will present a draft budget will be presented for possible vote at the next meeting.
  • Building Improvements: Discussed the two ‘wishlists’ of facility needs identified by all community and the staff.  We discussed how to move forward on getting word to ASD CRAC (the committee who decides when and what improvements to put forward to the ASD board) Way forward: In order to determine that we have agreement in the Steller community about what our priorities are, Katherine will simplify the list and put it out to the community for comment through the Flash, with a deadline.  Then those who wish to advocate can proceed to move it further.

Business

A request for $300 in basic art supplies was granted to the Art Room.

Announcements

  • Parent volunteers needed for desert baskets (parents at meeting fulfilled this by volunteering)
  • Parent Liaisons Needed: Parents, if you would like to assist your student’s advisor in getting word out about Advisory happenings or needs that the advisor may have for the advisory group activities or the advisor class activities, please offer to be the liaison. Contact your student’s advisor or Rochelle at colliebarks@aol.com if interested, to find out if your student’s advisor needs a liaison.
  • Next Meeting ~You’re invited October 19, 6pm

 

Steller Parents

Thursday, September 15th, 2011

Get Connected, Stay Connected with Steller Parent Group

You are invited to attend the Parent Group meeting this Wednesday, September 21st at 6pm in Ken’s Room.

We will learn about what is going on in Steller from our Principal and staff and our Ad Board reps. We will talk about events and issues relevant to parents and parents supporting student learning.

This month we will cover: After school and 7th hour activities, how should parent group spend the money it makes and more. Bring your ideas and questions. ALL are welcome!

Please let us know if there are ways we can make it easier for you to attend (carpooling, etc) also, feel free to send in ideas in writing if you are unable to attend but have ideas! Write to alyse.galvin@gmail.com or jbanta@me.com.

Please see the attached agenda. 

Thanks and hope to see you at Steller next Wednesday!

Parent Group Meeting

Monday, August 22nd, 2011

Wednesday, August 24

6:00 pm in the MPR

All Steller parents invited and strongly encouraged to attend.  We look forward to seeing you there!

Any questions:  Rebecca Johnson 240-8907 or beckinak@gmail.com

BBQ and All Community Meeting Planning

Wednesday, July 27th, 2011

One more chance to attend a planning meeting for our Welcome BBQ and All Community Meeting – Students and Parents are invited! August 1, noon, at Steller

It’s time to begin planning for Fall!   Our first events of the year is Steller Welcome BBQ and All Community Meeting set for August 26 from 5-8 pm.

Please join us Mon. Aug. 1 at noon for our second planning meeting for our Steller Fall BBQ and All Community Meeting.  We will have pizza and salad available for those on their lunch break.

Work to be done:

1) Logistics: activities. invitations, and menu of the BBQ-determining the details of ‘many hands makes for light work’.

2) Confirm draft agenda for the first of the year all-community meeting directly following the BBQ which (according to bylaws) is hosted by the Steller Parent Group. This year we hope to engage students and staff to find ways of making the meeting exciting, informative and engaging, especially for new families.

3) NEW FAMILY ENGAGING APPROACHES: We will also continue to work on ways of reaching to new families to help them to feel welcome and ‘oriented’ and think about perhaps offering some sort of mentor family matches for those who wish to have one.

Who can help: EVERYONE is encouraged to reach out to others in the Steller community to come to the planning meeting and beginning of the year events and pitch in to make it a great time for all!

Please let us know if you can come or if you would like to pitch in an idea or help in some way. Email to: alyse.galvin@gmail.com

Thanks!

Should Steller Start a Before and After School Program?

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

Steller community members interested in participating in a discussion about forming a before and after school community school program at Steller please reply to the Steller webmaster.

Request for the Steller Community

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011
We need students/staff/parents to review and comment on our draft facility needs assessment (Click link below). This document was compiled using an all community meeting tally, a staff poll, input from parent group meetings and other correspondence with Steller community members.  We will collect thoughts through the end of the school year and into the summer to bring to our new principal Dale Evern and to new community members joining at the beginning of the next school year (August 2011).  Please review the attached survey document for more information and the details on how to comment.  Many thanks to Helen Sharratt for her work on this project.