Parent Group Information Excerpted from the Steller Bylaw
A Parent Group is established as part of the Steller Community. The mission of this group is to promote parent involvement in school activities, to solicit, address, and make recommendations regarding issues facing the Steller Community, and to support fundraising activities and facilitate the disbursement of (those) funds. The parent group will meet monthly.
Membership in the Steller parent group shall consist of all parents/guardians of students currently enrolled in Steller.
- Parents—Attend parent group meetings and participate in discussions.
- Staff Reps—Attend meetings to represent and report on staff concerns.
- Principal—Attend meetings to represent and report on school-wide, as well as ASD concerns.
- Students—Are always welcome to attend, and may wish to bring a proposal, a funding request, or communicate student concerns.
An election of Parent Group officers and representatives will take place at the September meeting. Any vacancies that develop will be filled with an interim election conducted at a Parent Group meeting. No member may hold more than one office.
- Chair—the Chair/Vice-Chair is a two (2)-year term.
- Prepares agenda and conducts the monthly Parent Group meeting.
- Conducts or delegates follow-up of meeting business as needed.
- Acts as liaison between Parent Group and Advisory Board, Staff, and Operations Group, or is responsible for arranging an alternate to attend those meetings as needed.
- Makes reports to Advisory Board, Operations Group and Staff, as well as General Community, meetings as needed.
- Ensures that parents become acquainted with volunteer opportunities at school pre-registration.
- Helps recruit and train advisory group Parent Liaisons.
- The Vice-Chair assumes the duties of the Chair when necessary. The Vice-Chair assumes the position of Chair in the following year.
- Acts as Archivist for the Parent Group
- Records and makes available the minutes of meetings.
- Makes a digital copy of all minutes.
- Arranges for an alternate to take minutes in event of absence.
- Treasurer—the Treasurer/Vice-Treasurer is a two (2)-year term.
- The Treasurer is responsible for all financial matters and reports at Parent Group Meetings.
- Provides digital copies of reports.
- The Vice-Treasurer shall assume the duties of the Treasurer when necessary and shall assist the Treasurer throughout the year.
- PARENT LIAISONS
A Parent Liaison will be identified in each Advisory Group. The parent liaison provides Advisors with a designated advisory group parent contact who will assist with creation of e-mail/phone contact lists and facilitate communication with other parent members of the Advisory Group.
- Attend the monthly Parent Group meetings as a representative of their Advisory Group or recruit another parent to do the same, and forward topics of interest to other parents in the advisory group.
- Forward information and help recruit parent volunteers for school activities such as field trips, activity days, talent show, the annual auction, proms, or open house.
- Help plan or organize advisory group-specific activities such as the snack schedule, AG breakfast, monthly dances, fundraisers, the Steller Olympics, or monthly Staff Luncheons.
- May perform other duties as mutually agreed upon with their Advisor, such as recruiting field trip drivers.
- Advisory Groups may choose to have more than one parent liaison. In that event, the parent(s) and staff member will clearly define the role/duties for each parent liaison.