Volunteering at Steller
All volunteers must complete the ASD Volunteer Form annually.
Steller Philosophy is built on the Three Pillars: Students, Staff, and Parents & Guardians working together to build the community and learning experiences we want. There are many opportunities for ALL our community members to get involved and make a difference at Steller!
Steller Parent Group organizes volunteers on behalf of the staff and student groups and our own initiatives. We will post requests and links to Sign Up Genius on our website as needs arise.
School Hosted Events and Activities
Occasionally SPG will help recruit volunteers for school lead activities like the following:
- Open House and Ice Cream Social
- Steller Olympics
- Souper Steller
- Field Trips
Steller Parent Group Hosted Events and Activities
The mission of the Steller Parent Group is to promote involvement in school activities, to solicit address, and make recommendations regarding issues and policies facing the Steller Community, and to support fundraising activities and facilitate the disbursement of those funds.
Steller Parent Group meets the second Tuesday of each month from 6:00pm to 7:30pm. Our first meeting will be on Tuesday, September 12 in person and via Zoom. Watch for the announcements on the Steller Flash (SUBSCRIBE HERE). You can find meeting agendas and minutes on this website.
We have need for both leadership positions, and volunteers on the date of events, and various time commitments. This is just a summary to get a sense. Visit our Google Form here for a complete list, and to indicate your interest.
- Steller Finance Committee – one student, one member at large. Monthly review of funding requests and recommendation at SPG meeting; conduct annual review; prepare budget for approval by SPG (2-4 hours/month).
- Fundraising Committee – co-chair, and volunteers to help the chair plan and execute Cups for Kids in October, and seek out other fundraising opportunities. Students are especially invited to get involved here!
- Advocacy Committee – help plan advocacy and communication on behalf of Steller with ASD.
- Student Recruitment Committee – support Steller Staff in student recruitment and school promotion.
- Webmaster: Assist migrating SPG website to a new host, updating themes and plugins, and possible redesign.
- Zoom/Tech Guru: Setup and monitor Zoom at all monthly SPG general meetings and link to external monitor and speaker (5:30-8PM, second Tuesday of month x 9 months)
- 50th Anniversary Celebration Committee – help plan celebrations for Steller’s 50th Anniversary!
If you would like to know more about any of these roles, or have your own idea for something SPG could do reach out to our chairs – Dee Dee and Amy at email@example.com
Dates to Remember (this is NOT comprehensive!)
View and subscribe to the Steller Calendar here
Wednesday, August 30 6:00 to 7:30 Back to School Night (meet the teachers) and All Community Meeting (meet Steller Parent Group and other families)
Monday, September 4, Labour Day – No School for Students
Tuesday, September 12 6:00 to 7:30 Steller Parent Group Meeting in person and via Zoom. We will present the budget at this meeting, and then share with the wider community for a vote via email.
Thursday, September 21 6th Grade Community Forum details tba