Greetings Steller Community!
The ASD lottery for the 2023/2024 school year opens February 1 and closes March 23. We have several exciting things happening for recruitment this year, and many opportunities for you to help.
- A new video, featuring our awesome students, staff, and parents is being made.
- Students and staff will be attending several elementary schools to speak with incoming 7th graders about what it’s like here at Steller.
Steller will also have a table at two important school fairs, and we need parent volunteers to help out.
- Saturday, January 28 1-4pm at Loussac Library
- Saturday, February 4, 12-4 at Ed Centre
We are super excited to be back to hosting the Steller Ice Cream Social on Wednesday, February 15th 6-7.30pm
To volunteer please use Sign up Genius here.
Steller Parent Group is also hoping to be able to speak at the parent group meetings at as many of our feeder schools as possible. If you have connections to any schools, or would be interested in presenting, please contact our chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contac email@example.com
Since July 2022 ASD had had a new application process for anyone who volunteers in ASD Schools.
“All volunteers (includes chaperones, drivers, and partner organizations) must complete a
volunteer application and sign a liability waiver each school year. This requirement ensures
that the District has the most up-to-date information on those volunteering. The application
and waiver can be found on the website for online submission or printing.” (Read more here)
The process is not complicated and can be done online or on paper (printed copies are available through the school office). In order to ensure that you can volunteer when you are needed we are asking all parents and guardians to complete the application now. SPG will have a number of opportunities where we will need volunteers in the next few months:
- Ice Cream Social on January 15
- Aurora Music Festival in the spring
- Passage Mentors
- Moviethon on March 26
Visit the district website here to complete your application now!
Cups for Kids has raised $14,192.93!
We are at 47% of our annual goal!
If you haven’t had a chance to donate, there’s still time! Click DONATE on the right.
If donating isn’t in your family’s budget this year, here are other ways to support Steller…
- Join the Fundraising Committee. Be part of the team that plans and executes SPG fundraisers so we can support our Steller students.
- Come to Steller Parent Group’s monthly meetings. As Maria says “ It’s crucial that your voice is heard as we make decisions for the future of Steller.” Agendas include:
- budgeting – vote on how to spend the donated funds
- approving funding requests
- planning events
- reports from the Principle, Staff, and OP Group
- getting to know the inner workings at Steller, as well as each other
- Every second Tuesday of the month, 6-7:30pm
- The next meeting is December 13th (via Zoom)
- This year will be a mix of in-person and Zoom meetings
- Join the Finance Committee. Review funding requests and make recommendations.
- Join the SPG Board.
- No previous experience with Steller or other school boards necessary
- Always open positions, like Member at Large and Co-officers
- Volunteer for fun events, like:
- Organize the Spring or Fall teacher appreciation luncheon
- Help at All Community Meetings
- Chaperone dances
- Provide website help
- Or let us know your specialty and we’ll match you to a volunteer job
- Sign up for Amazon Smile, Fred Meyer, and Office Depot awards. For easy instructions, click here and scroll to the bottom.
For more info or to help in any of these ways, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Steller Band Sends Two Students to All-State
Steller Band students, Sarah Duot-Kelley on flute and Bjorn van der Goore on bass clarinet, have been selected to participate with the 2022 Alaska All-State Band.
Bjorn is a junior and earned a regular chair. This is his 2nd year in a row with All-State Band. Sarah is a senior and this will be her first time.
“I am delighted to see these highly accomplished students go through such a competitive audition process,” said Mr. Toba, band director. “Participation for All-State is the pinnacle for high school musicians in Alaska. I am so proud of our All-Staters.”
The All-State Gala Concert will be held on Saturday, November 19, 2022, at West High School, starting at 6 p.m. Admission will be $10 for adults and $5 for students. The public is invited.
SPG Meeting: Tuesday, November 8th
Come one, come all!
Click here for the Agenda
Click here to have your donation over and done! 🙂
Parent volunteers are needed to make this fundraiser a success. Help make coffee, collect donations, and much more. Click here to VOLUNTEER.
SPG is hoping to meet our fundraising goal for 2022-2023 of $30,000. (Currently our draft budget has expenses of $17,000.)
In order to allocate more funding to intensives, additional student programs, and to make travel intensives accessible for all families, regardless of ability to pay, SPG needs more than $17,000 to increase our budget. Help us make these exciting programs a reality!
Thank you, Steller Community, for your continued support of our amazing students!
P.S. don’t forget that many companies match donations. Does yours?
Steller Parent Group is very excited to be planning our first major fundraising event since January of 2020!
We have been operating on funds raised at that event since then, and our account is in need of replenishing! The tentative plan is to host an evening event with drinks and appetizers, and featuring a silent and live auction of items donated from Anchorage businesses and the Steller community.
We need a strong group of dedicated members of our community to help with the following:
- Co-chair or chair (we have one person willing to lead who would like a co-chair)
- Graphics and Communication
- Donation Procurement
- Auction Software Expert
- Basket Creation
- Volunteer Coordinator
If you have experience in any of these, or want to learn, we would love to hear from you! Planning an event like this is lots of hard work, but is also lots of fun, and so rewarding. Email Kirsten at StellerAuctionChair@gmail.com .
Funds raised from the Auction are used by SPG to pay for the following:
- Grants (Intensives, Travel Intensives, Program Support, Student and Staff requests)
- School hosted events (like Aurora music festival and sophomore breakfast)
- SPG hosted events (like Steller BBQ and All Community Meetings)
- SPG operational costs (insurance, website domain etc)
Submitted by Kirsten (Communications)
On behalf of Steller Parent Group and Steller Staff we would like to invite all members of the Steller Community (Students, Parents & Guardians, Staff) to join our first All Community Meeting and Back to School Night of 2022.
We are excited to be bringing back this Steller tradition after the last few years of on-line learning.
Agenda will be as follows:
Welcome and staff introduction.
Welcome and introduction from SPG:
- What does Steller Parent Group do?
- Fundraising needs
- How you can get involved – we are looking for co-chairs for all positions! If you are interested please stop by the lounge and have a chat or contact Amy at email@example.com
Meet each of your student’s teachers in their classroom!
Light refreshments will be served as well.
Save the date:
SPG General Meeting Tuesday, September 13, 2022 6:00 to 7:30
- Principal Report
- Staff Report
- OpGroup Report
- Steller Treasurer Report
- Steller Chair Report
- Volunteer Sign Up