Steller Parent Group is very excited to be planning our first major fundraising event since January of 2020!
We have been operating on funds raised at that event since then, and our account is in need of replenishing! The tentative plan is to host an evening event with drinks and appetizers, and featuring a silent and live auction of items donated from Anchorage businesses and the Steller community.
We need a strong group of dedicated members of our community to help with the following:
- Co-chair or chair (we have one person willing to lead who would like a co-chair)
- Graphics and Communication
- Donation Procurement
- Auction Software Expert
- Basket Creation
- Volunteer Coordinator
If you have experience in any of these, or want to learn, we would love to hear from you! Planning an event like this is lots of hard work, but is also lots of fun, and so rewarding. Email Kirsten at StellerAuctionChair@gmail.com .
Funds raised from the Auction are used by SPG to pay for the following:
- Grants (Intensives, Travel Intensives, Program Support, Student and Staff requests)
- School hosted events (like Aurora music festival and sophomore breakfast)
- SPG hosted events (like Steller BBQ and All Community Meetings)
- SPG operational costs (insurance, website domain etc)
Submitted by Kirsten (Communications)
On behalf of Steller Parent Group and Steller Staff we would like to invite all members of the Steller Community (Students, Parents & Guardians, Staff) to join our first All Community Meeting and Back to School Night of 2022.
We are excited to be bringing back this Steller tradition after the last few years of on-line learning.
Agenda will be as follows:
Welcome and staff introduction.
Welcome and introduction from SPG:
- What does Steller Parent Group do?
- Fundraising needs
- How you can get involved – we are looking for co-chairs for all positions! If you are interested please stop by the lounge and have a chat or contact Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet each of your student’s teachers in their classroom!
Light refreshments will be served as well.
Save the date:
SPG General Meeting Tuesday, September 13, 2022 6:00 to 7:30
- Principal Report
- Staff Report
- OpGroup Report
- Steller Treasurer Report
- Steller Chair Report
- Volunteer Sign Up
Join us for the first Steller Parent Group meeting of the year, and find out what’s happening at school, share your ideas, and get to know fellow parents & guardians and staff.
We meet the second Tuesday of the month (in person and via Zoom for now), and you can find the agenda by the Sunday before the meeting . This month we will be talking more about fundraising and how students and adults can get involved in the school.
The Three Pillars of the school are by default all members of SPG – Students, Staff, Parents & Guardians, and active participation in the running of the school is at the heart of the Steller Philosophy.
Thank you to all the students and adults that have already signed up to volunteer for specific positions, or to be general helpers. Many hands make light work, and helps develop a sense of community. We will have an updated list of ways to get involved soon. For more information about how you can get involved see here .
The Steller Community consists of three pillars: Students, Staff and Parents/Guardians. Steller Parent Group is an important way for parents and guardians to learn about what is happening at school, have a voice in future decisions, and help create a culture that reflects the communities values.
All students, staff, and parents/guardians are automatically members, and anyone who attends a meeting has the right to vote on issues. If you have ideas for how we can continue to grow our community, we would love to hear from you.
Our next meeting is Tuesday, May 10, from 6:00 to 7:00pm on Zoom.
In addition to the usual updates, we will continue planning our upcoming All Community Meeting: Celebrate Steller! It will be a fun event for our entire Steller community.
- You can find the Draft Meeting Minutes from the April meeting, and the Agenda for the upcoming meeting HERE.
As always, if you have any questions or comments please don’t hesitate to reach out. Email: email@example.com.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 958 9143 6576
On Tuesday, March 1st Steller is hosting an in person Open House. Prospective students and their families are invited to drop by the school, and will be able to visit classrooms and teachers in small groups on a first come first serve basis.
We would like a few parent volunteers to greet our guests outside, and serve hot chocolate, answer questions, and help manage the groups.
If you can help any time from 6:00 to 7:30 please sign up on the doodle poll below:
I will be stepping down as Chair of Steller Parent Group effective March 15, 2022. In order to ensure SPG is able to fulfill our commitments and continue to effectively support the Steller Community we need someone to step in as soon as possible!
As of yet, we haven’t had anyone indicate interest in the position, so I thought I’d share the description of the position from the by-laws:
An election of Parent Group Officers and Representatives will take place at the September
meeting. Any vacancies that develop will be filled by an interim election conducted at a Parent
Group meeting. No member may hold more than one office.
Chair- the Chair/Vice-Chair is a two (2)-year term
- Prepares agenda and conducts the monthly Parent Group meeting.
- Conducts or delegates follow-up of meeting business as needed.
- Acts as liaison between Parent Group, Staff, and Operational Group, or is responsible for arranging an alternate to attend those meetings as needed.
- Makes reports to Operational Group and Staff, as well as the Steller Community Body meetings as needed.
- Ensures that parents become acquainted with the volunteer opportunities at school pre-registration.
- Assists in recruiting and training of Advisory Group Parent Liaisons.
- Coordinates with treasurer to ensure at least three officers, two of whom must be the chair and the treasurer, shall be approved to sign checks and have their signatures on file at the bank. The authorized check signers must not be related by blood or marriage or reside in the same household.
- Appoints a Budget Committee that includes the chair and treasurer upon election of officers.
- Ensures a financial review (audit) occurs at the end of the fiscal year, or whenever there is a transition between treasurers. The purpose of the review is to certify the accuracy of the books and records of the Treasurer by examining the financial transactions of the SPG and the procedures used to conduct those transactions. Financial Review Committee must be made up of three (3) or a qualified accountant and can include anyone within the unit that is NOT a signatory on the account or related to one.
- Establishes ad-hoc committees (including the Financial Committee) as needed.
Ideally this work should be shared between a chair and a vice chair – so if we could find TWO people willing to step up that would be even better.
If we do not identify a new chair before the March 15th meeting SPG and all it’s financial functions will be temporarily suspended until we have a full board of chair, treasurer and secretary.
As always, I am happy to speak with anyone interested, or feel free to reach out to Dee Dee (secretary) or Claudia (treasurer) for more information about what is involved.
Hello Steller Families and Students!
SPG, along with the school, has started planning new student recruitment for the 2022-2023 school year, and we could use your help!
1. Co-host for Zoom Open House on Wednesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 17 from 6:00 to 7:30. The script and slide show are ready, we just need someone to act as back up host to introduce people on the 17th.
2. Students were invited to volunteer to speak during the Zoom presentation during the advisory, but I wanted to make sure everyone has the opportunity. If you are interested please contact me.
3. It’s great when we have attendance from the current community at our Zoom session to welcome new families, and answer questions based on their experiences, so please mark your calendars!
Please feel free to share this Poster and Flyer within your own communities and encourage people to attend our Open House.
2022 Welcome to Steller Flyer for Printing (1)
Finally, if you could please like, comment and repost our Social Media posts (once the campaign gets started) on the Steller Facebook Page that would be great!
We could use help with a few more things, so if you are interested or have ideas please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org