Dear Steller Community,
Some parents have expressed concerns that have to drop their children off at school considerably before the doors open, and as it gets colder, this may be more difficult.
SPG is working with Steller Staff to see if we can find some sort of resolution to this difficulty.
Over the next month we will be offering a sign up sheet for the Warmth & Welcome committee. Parent and guardian volunteers are invited to sign up to be present in the student lounge at the front of the school to supervise students in the time between 7:30 at 8:10. Staff will always available to help if needed.
Parents are also welcome to sign up to be present during the lunch hour to help promote safe mask wearing and positive social behaviours.
If you are interested in volunteering you must:
1) Sign the ASD Volunteer Form (found in the office)
2) Attend a brief Orientation with Maria
3) Change on the sign up form as soon as you know you won’t be able to attend, or by 6:00 am at latest the day of your shift.
If you are a parent that needs to drop your child off early, we encourage you to check out the link to see if anyone has signed up so the doors will be open. Unfortunately, if there isn’t a volunteer, or they need to cancel for unforeseen circumstances, we will not be able to open the doors.
Steller Parent Group thanks you on behalf of the lager parent body and Steller Staff.
For questions please contact Kirsten at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maria
2021 AYEA Youth Organizer Summit Application
Each year Alaska Youth for Environmental Action hosts a fall Youth Organizer Summit, bringing together young Alaskans from across the state to gather and discuss issues in their communities and gain skills to address those issues. During the YO Summit, we also decide upon and start planning our statewide campaign for the year. The summit is scheduled for November 11-15th over Zoom and applicants are expected to attend the summit in full.
Please see our website for more information about the Youth Organizer Summit and our expectations for attendees. Applications are due by October 22nd.
Know a teen excited about climate and racial justice? >>> Nominate by Oct 22
Interested in becoming a YO as a teen yourself? >>> Apply by Oct 22
Thanks for sharing this cool opportunity Chandra (apologies it’s so late being posted).
Congratulations, Ishmael and Marley!
Steller band students, Ishamel B. on alto saxophone and Marley M. on flute have been accepted to the ASD Middle School Honor Band (formerly known as JYSBO). Ismael and Marley attained the membership through competitive live auditions. “Ishmael and Marley put extra effort in to the audition etudes, and I am so proud of their achievement, ” said Mr. Toba, the band director. “I am positive that these students will enjoy and learn a lot from the honor band.” The Middle School Honor Band will meet on Mondays from October through March at Bartlett High School. The honor band will have three public concerts as well.
Well done Marley and Ishamel! The whole Steller Community is proud of you!
From Mr. Toba
Thank you to everyone – students & adults – who have used the Sign Up Genius to indicate their interest in volunteering this year. We are excited at how many people have already stepped up!
We are still looking to fill a few committees. Indicating interest in these three groups doesn’t mean you are committing to a leadership position, and you can chose to only help out for one event or activity.
We especially need a few people – students and adults – with ideas for the Fundraising Committee so that we can create our budget this year. If we don’t raise any funds we will be limited in how much support we can offer for things like intensives and events and activities. If you are interested please email email@example.com.
Steller Students are leading a committee to discuss 7th hour. They need one parent from a middle school student, and one parent from a high school student to join the committee. The first meeting is this Wednesday. If you would like to volunteer please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted by Arnan A.
The Steller Outreach Club (SOC) and the Steller National Honor Society (NHS) would like to announce an upcoming volunteer opportunity.
Please join the Greater Friendship Baptist Church and Congregation Beth Sholom this weekend, Saturday September 18, as we support the Mobile Food Bank. Meet at the Fairview Recreation Center from 12:30-2:00 p.m. to help distribute food to those battling food insecurity.
Submitted by Alana P.
Steller Parent Group is committed to providing opportunities for Steller Students to have a voice in SPG, and to develop new skills and new experiences. In particular we are looking for students to join the Finance Committee, and help write content for the SPG website. We are also looking for students who can help on an ad hoc basis (for example at events). Time commitment varies and can be flexible. All students from grade 7 to 12 are invited to participate.
If you are interested in either of these positions, or would just like to be added to the list when we are looking for general volunteers, please sign up using Sign Up Genius.
Chair, Steller Parent Group
Steller Parent Group and Steller Staff are happy to invite all Steller Students, Families and Staff to the Great Steller BBQ of 2021. This is a great opportunity for everyone to come together as a community after so long apart, meet new friends and catch up with old friends. We look forward to seeing you!
Steller Parent Group will supply hamburgers, hot dogs, veggie options, and drinks. What can you bring?
- Families with names A – K are invited to bring a side dish to share
- Families with names L to Z bring a dessert to share
- Please make sure your dish is well labeled for allergens, pre-cut, preferably individually wrapped, and ready to serve, and labeled so you can bring it home at the end of the night!
- To reduce waste we invite you to bring your own plates, cutlery and cups.
- We will be set up in the parking lot and Steller Field, so bring blankets, chairs, and whatever else you need to be comfortable.
Registration is not required, but it certainly helps us plan so that we have enough for everyone. Please make sure you Register even if you have signed up to volunteer!
Of course, an event like this isnâ€™t possible without many volunteers to help. There are many positions available to both students and adults. See here to sign up.
Update Regarding COVID 19
Steller Parent Group is committed to doing everything we can to support the safety and wellbeing of our community in light of COVID 19 and following ASD guidelines:
- Universal masking will be required for all individuals while inside any ASD school or building. Some exceptions will apply. Participants at the BBQ will be asked to remain masked while near food tables and when distance of 6 feet is not being maintained.
- Keep ASD Symptom Free. We must all do our part to minimize viral spread. Please stay home and get tested if you are experiencing ANY symptoms.
- Cleaning and Disinfecting. Hand sanitizer will be readily available and frequent handwashing will be encouraged. All food servers will wear masks, gloves and follow appropriate sanitization practices. Only masked and gloved volunteers will be allowed to touch any food products.
- Keeping students and staff in the learning environment. The District will continue to make COVID-19 vaccine clinics available to eligible students (with parental consent), staff, and community members through a contracted provider. Additionally, following new guidance from the CDC, asymptomatic, properly masked students and fully vaccinated individuals will not be required to quarantine if deemed a close contact.
As things are constantly changing we will provide an update on exact practice for the BBQ closer to the date. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact the school.
Save the Date
Tuesday, September 14 (6:00 to 7:30) – Steller Parent Group Meeting