Steller Band Students Won the Command Performance
Xavier L on bassoon and Griffin L on French horn won the Command Performance Awards for 2021 Alaska State Solo/Ensemble Festival. Earning the honor is one of the most difficult tasks for high school musicians in state.
” I can’t find a way to express my feeling now for Xavier and Griffin”, said Mr. Toba, the band director. “Despite the fact we are under the pandemic, these highly motivated students did much more than they were expected. I am very, very proud of the boys.”
Because of the COVID, there will be no actual Command Performance, but Xavier and Griffin will receive certificates and pins.
Well done to both of you Xavier and Griffin! And thank you to Mr Toba for your dedication to our students.
Five high school students and four middle school students entered solo/ensemble adjudications. The results are utterly amazing:
- Arnan Anthony, trumpet – excellent
- Johnathen Jencks, tuba – superior
- Xavier Libbrecht, bassoon – superior
- Griffin Lindsday, French horn – superior
- Bjorn Van der Goore, bass clarinet – superior
- Shepherd Brown, alto saxophone, superior
- Zane Hopewell, baritone – superior
- Marley McDonagh, flute – superior
- Riley Strodtbeck, clarinet – excellent
The high school students who earned the superior ratings will advance to the ASAA State Solo/Ensemble Festival. It will be virtual.
This school year has been challenging for band, but I am so proud of these students who spent extra time preparing,” said Mr. Toba, the band director. “I would like to congratulate all of the students for their accomplishment. I wish the best of luck for state for state-bound students as well.