The Grade Seven Social Club and Steller Parent Group is pleased to invite all Steller students, staff and families to the Steller Super Sweeper Clean Up Event!
Saturday, May 8 from 11:00am to 2:00pm at Steller School and surrounding area.
The Citywide Cleanup “Super Sweeper” Program is a great way to teach kids the importance of keeping our community clean, and it’s also a lot of fun. Jointly coordinated by the Anchorage School District and the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce, the Super Sweeper Program challenges elementary, middle, and high schools to get together to clean trash around their school and in their neighbourhood.
- Pick up your orange bags and map at Steller Secondary parking lot.
- Win door prizes – a $50.00 gift certificate to Fred Meyer, and Steller Spirit Wear.
- Light refreshments will be served (while supplies last).
- Register here. It helps us plan how many people to expect if you register, but please feel free to drop by even if you haven’t registered.
We will be collecting the following to support Covenant House:
- Gently used books, CDs etc to sell to Title Wave for credit.
- NEW travel sized toiletries like shampoo and conditioner, toothbrushes and toothpaste, mouthwash, chapstick and deodorant.
National Honor Society Will be Selling Masks to support Bean’s Cafe.
Important Rules to Follow: Be Safe!
SPG will supply orange trash-bags, an area map, and juice boxes and cookies.
- Wear a mask and practice social distancing to keep everyone safe.
- Wear gloves (we will have a limited amount) and an orange safety vest or bright coloured clothing.
- Children must be under adult supervision at all times, everyone should use a buddy system.
- Make good decisions to keep yourself safe. Be aware of the following risks:
- The area may have needles, and other biohazards* (only adults should consider picking these up).
- Sharp objects like glass and wire.
- Steller is surrounded by busy streets, cross safely.
- Keep in mind other risks associated with the midtown location.
- Orange trash bags may not be used for household trash, yard clippings or hazardous waste such as a car battery, or household cleaners.
- Dress appropriately. Sunscreen, rain gear, waterproof shoes and hats are recommended. Please be aware of private property boundaries and ask permission to clean in these areas.
- Return orange bags back to Steller for pick up after no later than 1:30 pm.
*Adults may consider bringing a medical sharps container designed for needle collection, available at some pharmacies, or thick plastic jugs for detergent, kitty litter or shampoo (water bottles are too thin and can be punctured.)
If you have questions or want to volunteer to help organize please contact Kirsten at chairstellerparentgroup@gmail.